For over 30 years, I have have been asked this very same question: “How would I know if I need a new roof?”
Well, there are basically 8 tell tail signs that you need a new roof and here is what I tell homeowners.
Although we will never know when the current roof will be to old to properly keep your home and family safe….what we do know is that as every year rolls on, it will cost more and more to replace it. That’s a fact. Inflation drives up both material and labor cost. Furthermore, it drives up the cost of financing. Here is a great article on a news site
Therefore, if you have anyone of these 8 signs below, its a good idea to replace your roof immediately.
8 Potential Signs That Your Roof May Need To Be Replaced
- Shingle edges are curled or shingle tabs are cupped.
2. Bald spots where granules are missing.
3. Cracked shingles.
4. Your roof is at least 15 years old; while many shingles today are produced for durability, many factors can accelerate the aging of shingles. Older shingles and roofing components were not made for the durability needed in todays environment. For example, if your roof is not properly ventilated, it can negatively impact your shingles.
5. The roof just looks old and worn.
6.Neighbors are getting new roofs. Homes built around the same time period can be experiencing the same types of weather conditions can mean that your roof is nearing its useful life.
7. Dark streaks. Airborne algae cause dark streaks on roof decks. While this may not necessarily harm the roof shingles, it may not look good.
8. Moss can grow on roof surfaces that don’t get much sunlight, especially in cool, moist climates. Moss growth can be more than a cosmetic issue. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface and over time in freezing climates can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles. Moss can be brushed off but it won’t prevent it from growing again; take care not to damage the shingle surface.